Walking Football Suggested Rules for Local Sessions
When looking to play a game there are many variations you can use depending on numbers, facility type and player abilities. The one rule which is uniform regardless of whether you are playing for fun or for trophies is around defining WALKING. For this we suggest the following:
A PLAYER WHILST MOVING AROUND THE PITCH MUST HAVE ONE FOOT IN CONTACT WITH THE GROUND AT ALL TIMES.
Teams can include Male and Female players.
For a social game then there are some points for consideration when setting your rules
Teams of 5, 6 or 7 a side
- Teams of 5, 6 or 7 a side
- Rolling substitutes
- Indoor or Outdoor
- No running with or without the ball
- 3rd running offence is a penalty to the opposing team
- No slide tackles
- No tacking from behind
- No restrictions on amount of touches OR 3-touch football
- Ball height restriction rule: hip or head height
- Size 4 or Size 5 balls
- Players not allowed in penalty area
- Kick-ins not Throw-ins
- No scoring from inside the area
- No scoring from own half
- Goalkeeper can throw (to height restriction) and kick at any time (in their box)
- Pass backs are allowed OR not allowed
- Respect your teammates and opponents
- And ENJOY!
When playing in tournaments and festivals most organisers will circulate their specific rules well in advance of tournament/festival.
Rules are always subject to discussion with group members. Click here to download the above rules.